GENERAL SERVICES GROUP LEADER – APPLICATION PERIOD CLOSED
Section I: Summary of the Position:
The role of the Public Works General Services Group Leader is to plan, direct, manage and oversee the daily activities, projects and operations relating to public property in the Township.
Section II: Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides direct oversight of the General Services Divisions (i.e. Streets, Parks, Building Maintenance and Mechanics)
- Plans, prioritizes, assigns, supervises and reviews the work of staff responsible for the maintenance and repair of public property
- Schedules annual routine maintenance of facilities and parks, and identifies projects that will benefit public property
- Develops and implements snow plowing and leaf collection policies and procedures. Acts as the main point of contact during snow storms and works closely with Public Works Manager on each storm’s operation and scheduling plan
- Inspects facilities and park equipment on an annual basis
- Estimates time, materials and equipment required for jobs and requisitions materials
- Works closely with Recreation staff to coordinate needs for staffing, equipment needs and event planning
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings and/or associations. Maintains awareness of new trends and developments in the field of facilities maintenance and operations; incorporates new developments as appropriate into programs
- Works closely with Crew Leaders to coordinate the daily work of staff
- Meets weekly with Crew Leaders to discuss weekly work items, goals and objectives
- Provides oversight and input to the maintenance of the Township fleet
- Provides technical assistance on proposed alterations or improvements to public properties
- Reviews technical drawings and specifications for projects
- Prepares and reviews payroll for staff
- Develops and monitors short and long-term goals and objectives for the General Services Division
- Assists in the annual budget process. Monitors and maintains budget within established guidelines and works closely with the Finance Department
- Suggests, develops and implements policies and practices as it relates to the department
- Participates in the selection, evaluation, discipline, development and performance of staff
- Other duties as assigned
Section III: Supervisory Responsibilities:
Oversees all Public Works Union Members assigned to carryout the duties of the Public Works General Services Division.
Section IV: Qualifications: Qualifications are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required for the position.
- Ability to analyze problems and identify possible solutions
- Ability to lead, develop, evaluate and strengthen morale with the staff
- Ability to work and interact in a positive and collaborative manner with residents/customers/vendors
- Ability to adapt and be flexible to changes that may occur with the daily work schedule
- Effective communication skills both oral and written
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and technical drawings
- Ability to coordinate, schedule and allocate appropriate resources for both internal staff and outside vendors/contractors.
- Proficient in computer operations; Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
Section V: Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent; Associate’s Degree or Technical School preferred but not required
- Five or more years of experience in a maintenance supervisory position. Construction background preferred.
- Valid PA drivers license
- Working knowledge of public works operations and storm water management
- Pesticide Applicator License and Certified Playground Safety Inspector preferred but not required
- Working knowledge of street maintenance and public infrastructure practice
Section VI: Physical Demands:
On a daily basis this position involves sitting, standing, walking, bending
Section VII: Work Environment:
This position works in an office environment with some outdoor work involved with some exposure to extreme weather conditions. This position requires frequent travel between worksites.
Application period is closed.
Certified Lifeguards – OPEN!
Interested applicants should email email@example.com (ATTN: Recreation Program Specialist). The Swim and Gym Program runs on Sundays (1-5pm) from January to March at Parkland High School.
Seasonal Public Works Employees – CLOSED
The South Whitehall Township Department of Public Works is looking for seasonal workers to provide a wide variety of semi-skilled manual tasks and operation of light equipment. Perform basic grounds-keeping duties; and maintenance and repair of parks buildings, structures, playgrounds and other equipment. The position will also perform general manual labor digging ditches, weeding, mowing, raking and edging of turf areas, cutting brush, pruning trees and shrubs, removing obstacles from roadway and adjacent areas. Performs simple manual work connected with patching and repairing of streets, street construction and maintenance. Operate light equipment such as lawnmowers, pick-up trucks and other powered tools. Performs cleaning and restocking of park restrooms, empty trash receptacles and pick up litter. Other duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor. Must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid PA drivers license.
Application Deadline: All positions have been filled.
Parks and Recreation Internship
Summer Recreation Assistant – OPEN
South Whitehall Township’s Parks and Recreation Department is seeking a Summer Recreation Assistant.
Sample Job Responsibilities
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and participates in the development and implementation of seasonal recreation programs for residents of all ages and abilities.
- Obtains sponsorship for various recreation needs and to offset costs of recreation events.
- Prepares written documents, statistical reports, program schedules, press releases, brochures and fliers.
- Communicates and works with individuals, community groups and committees to stimulate broad-based partnerships and develop program support.
- Consult with school officials, youth sport groups and other public and private agencies in seeking solutions to widen the township’s program offerings.
- Monitors and updates the Department’s social media pages and website pages, and explores other advertising methods to enhance program marketing efforts.
- Tracks attendance and registration numbers for all recreation programs and contributes data to monthly department report.
- Coordinates facility rentals such as pavilions and athletic fields.
- Assists the Recreation Program Specialist.
- Supervises the Summer Playground Program and Staff.
Desired Education & Experience
- On track to earn a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Parks and Recreation Management, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience operating programs for a Parks and Recreation Department.
- Experience working with youth.
- Red Cross First Aid and CPR certification required within one (1) month of start of employment.
- A valid Pennsylvania Driver’s license is required
Interested applicants should email firstname.lastname@example.org (ATTN: Recreation Program Specialist).
Application Deadline is MARCH 1st, 2019!
Playground Counselor – CLOSED!
South Whitehall Township is seeking applications for Summer Playground Program Counselors. Counselors will report directly to their Playground Supervisor and will be responsible for leading a schedule of diverse programs consisting of competitive and non-competitive recreation activities. Activities may include: sports, games, team building, arts and crafts, environmental education and special events. Counselors are expected to keep all program participants active and engaged from 9:00am – 3:00pm (M-F). The program will run from Monday, June 18 – Friday, August 10.
Applicants must be at least 17 years of age. Application deadline is Friday, May 25, 2018. Interested applicants should email email@example.com (ATTN: Recreation Program Specialist)